Thursday, November 3, 2011

I have started (and stopped, unfinished) two journals of gratitude. One wasn't just the right journal...because, of course, there is a perfect journal, bound just so. One ended up scribbled in, and I couldn't bear the messy pages when this gratitude giving should be so lovely, so neat and tidy. Oh, has Ann inspired me over the years, but this has been hard, fighting the pefectionist in me to start a habit that I long to be ingrained in my family. There are simple ways to start, Ann has suggested, sweet pages to print to remember God's good gifts. If you haven't followed her journey of gratitude, I challenge you to start by reading 1000 Gifts.

I am ashamed to write this confession of failure, but I write because you might have started and stopped your gratitude list too. Or, you might have been waiting for the perfect journal, perfect time to start?  But this month, this season, we have begun again. This isn't mama using her best pen in a leather-bound book. This a composition notebook bearing my children's handwriting too...because gratitude is contagious. Monte has placed our journal in visitor's hands, encouraging them to write too. Wouldn't that be something? To start our visits with an entry in a journal of thanks-giving? What a tone that would set to our conversation, such seasoning to our words and actions.

Our gratitude journal is a notebook dusted in flour from spending an afternoon on my kitchen counter during bread baking. It bears not just words, but drawings too, when the littlest didn't have the words. It is messy...much like our lives. But it is perfect...just like His gifts. Will you join me in starting a habit this season of writing down His gifts and your gratitude?

3 comments:

Kelsi said...

Oh, Riann! Oh my goodness, how I identify... There are countless empty--literally empty--journals sitting in my room. Some, as you said, weren't bound just right. Others were bound perfectly, but my handwriting didn't look the way I wanted it to, and so one by one, the pages were torn out... Ridiculous! Maybe today I can be grateful for the luxury of even purchasing a journal, having the ability to write, and for people who don't care what my handwriting looks like...

Off I go to locate a journal with pages in it!

mama said...

i am thankful for you.

LeAnn said...

I love your the idea for a thanksgiving guest book. What a lovely coffee table, conversation piece. Thank you for this inspiration. I too have started and stopped my gratitude journal. You have reminded me again, and I thank you!