Monday, September 26, 2011

The well...

Ten months ago I posted this. It was with such joy that I wrote of God's faithfulness in your generosity. I was sending a check for over $3,600 to World Vision, and that check represented saving and sacrifice by dear friends, family and even strangers who shared in the vision of my son who enclosed this letter:
Dear Mr. Stearns,
My name is Monte, and I am 8 years old. My brother was born in Ethiopia. My parents read your book you wrote and showed me videos on your website. I decided I wanted to build a well in Africa. I have been saving my money, and many people have helped me. I hope this well will help people know Jesus.

We challenged you to read The Hole in Our Gospel, and you did...and were changed. I write today to tell you how Ethiopia changed because of you. I received an e-mail from our contact, and World Vision's Millenium Water Project in Ethiopia has been completed. Because of your open hearts and hands, you helped make the following statistics possible:
  • 96,000 children and adults in rural Ethiopia gained access to safe water
  • 49 miles of pipeline have been laid
  • 78 water points have been constructed
  • 7,400 latrines have been built
  • 6,000 training sessions on hygiene have been offered
  • 202 water supply caretakers and technicians have been trained
I was overwhelmed to read these numbers...to see how God had used this offering as a part of something so big. But then I saw His fingerprints. I was looking up the communities that had been reached during the October 2010 - March 2011 time frame, when our contribution was used. There were seven communities touched, and as GoogleEarth placed each for me, I nearly wept. Each of those communities was within about a 4 hour drive of where our Moses was born, and one village was less than an hour from the orphanage where he spent his first months of life.

Thank you, friends, for being a part of bringing life to this corner of the world.

2 comments:

Anne said...

You are a vessel God is using, Riann. Don't stop...

tonia said...

This is just so beautiful. I read it before, but coming back now to sit with you and praise the Lord together. You have done so well, Riann. Thank you for serving the Lord.