Thursday, September 16, 2010

My challenge...and yours, Day 5

If you haven't read the first post in this series, will you do so before reading on?

I fear that as I have felt challenged to encourage you to "act justly and love mercy and walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8), it might be perceived that I have arrived...that I can exhort because I am already courageously hiking this path without faltering. I have not arrived. I am stumbling on this path, a tired, grumbling mama on many days. But I am humbly asking you to walk with me, not follow (as I am sure to lose the way), but seek with me. He promises to be found, and as I am challenged to live a radically different life, I am asking you to listen to that "voice behind you"...because He will show you the way as you walk...

It was just one year ago, and we sat across from each other at a quiet candlelit table, Alex recounting the highlights of each of our thirteen years of marriage. There had been our first year together, dreaming of trekking across England and experiencing Capernwray and then the four following years, long hours of study, jobs squeezed between classes, dreaming of finishing degrees. Just months before graduation was the dream realized of a family -- a son! The following year, Alex was officially employed, and then we held the keys to a home with 100 years of history and rooms already filled with the dreams of those precious memories to be made. As Alex finished counting off the years, we looked at each other in surprise and wonder at what had been revealed. By God's grace in our journey, each of the hopes and dreams that we had brought to our marriage had been fulfilled. This is what we had dreamed of, holding hands on a sun-kissed day in August, flowers in my hair, tears in his eyes. This was it. We had the lovely, picturesque life we had hoped for...and it hit us at the same time...this was it?! We prayed to understand what it meant for us to follow Christ, and we put Crazy Love and Radical on the iPod and prayed some more. That candlelit eve started a conversation that nine months later would find us in an orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

When was the last time you dreamed...for Him?

1 comment:

Ann said...

I need to go back and look at a calendar and record the exact dates of the dreams. There were two. They were from God. They changed my answer from a "no" to a "yes" and now we have a new little girl in our lives!
Thank you for your posts. Inspirational and thought provoking.