Wednesday, May 5, 2010

When the phone doesn't ring...

We might be leaving for Ethiopia in 7 days. Or, we might not be going to Ethiopia until the end of this month. As construction in Ethiopia has downed internet and phone service (that is at best normally sporadically available), our phone is silent. We are waiting only on news of our visa appointment -- news that allows us to book tickets to bring Moses home.

So, the casual observer might be wondering, "What does a person do when they might be leaving in a matter of days for a third world country and returning with an infant?" Fill in the blank here with any number of worthwhile and important things... I do actually have a list of worthwhile and important things to be doing.

Instead, I am paralyzed in this limbo, and this is what I have accomplished today:

* Organized bathroom drawers (a clean hair brush and tidy toiletries are essential to peace)
* Organized tupperware (it is imperative to have matching lids to all your tupperware when returning from a foreign land with a baby)
* Cleaned the under-the-stove drawer (because...why?)

I finally bundled up the kids and trekked downtown for donuts, praying for grace and peace. Because, really, isn't that what I should be doing when the phone doesn't ring?

8 comments:

Kelsi RaeAnne said...

Praying with you, Ri. <3

Anonymous said...

Waiting is so hard. I still think you should undertake a huge painting project. That is a surefire way to make that phone ring. You are in our prayers.

Love and prayers,
April

Kelsi RaeAnne said...

I got up and started to walk away from the computer, when the lyrics from a song I sang with the Continentals suddenly jumped into my head and forced me back.

"For in His perfect timing,
up ahead a light is shining,
and I know the dawn will be arriving
very soon."

The Siler Family said...

I feel you pain! We too are anquishing over that magical phone call! Hang in there.....it will all be fond memories soon!

Kristen said...

I love you. Praying for you and little one.

Christie said...

Bless your heart, Riann! I can so relate. May each of your hearts be filled with an overwhelming joy in your journey today! Soon and very soon.....
Prayers going up,
Christie

Auntie Erika said...

At least you are being productive. I think I would be picking up the phone every ten minutes just to make sure it still had a dial tone! Praying for you here too. May God grant you peace...and a phone call :0).
Love
Erika

Mark and Sarah said...

That sounds like my last few weeks. The limbo was soooooo much harder than I expected. So so nice to have confirmed dates now. Looking forward to meeting you next week!!