Saturday, February 20, 2010


Daffodils
by William Wordsworth, 1804

"I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.


Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.


The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:


For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils."


I have a bouquet on my table, and the sun-warmed daffodils are scented so sweet that spring fills my kitchen these days...

6 comments:

Kelsi RaeAnne said...

I LOVE daffodils! Daffodils, daisies, tulips... All so happy and friendly. I always tell my Mom -- the right guy won't get me roses. =D

MD said...

I love daffodils...but really love this poem. I love it because it is such a good reminder to look around and collect memories for those days that just do not really seem to be worth making memories of(: Or maybe just for hard days? Love you, miss you!

mom said...

you know daffodils are my favorite, and thank you, melissa for introducing us to the poem. kinda reminds me of fredrick the mouse...gathering colors, words.....

momtoo said...

Every spring I can remember, my dad brought mom a bouquet of daffodils...long green pencils that almost opened before our eyes. I would take a bouquet of daffodils over any flower any day.

Kristen said...

beautiful... :)

Abbie Laine said...

amen to everything everyone said. appreciating the beauty friends bring to our lives (you the photo, Melissa the poem, mom building the appreciation for "happy candles"). And ditto, Kelsi: tulips and daffodils, peonies, and sweet peas...so MANY, so lovely. None so cheery as a daffodil, though!