Thursday, September 10, 2009

Parenting is Your Highest Calling...

...and 8 Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt is the title of the book by Leslie Leyland Fields that should be a must-read for every mama. In a chapter of the same title as the book, the author quotes the story found in Matthew 20 where Jesus reveals to his disciples his coming crucifixion and resurrection and then immediately is confronted by the mother of two of the disciples, requesting her sons' places of honor beside Jesus in heaven. Leyland Fields goes on to write:

"I shudder as I read this passage, recognizing myself. This woman's faith was strong. She approved of her sons' new positions as disciples of this radical rabbi.

But this mother came to Jesus not to seek understanding of all he had said. She came not to express her sorrow at Jesus's upcoming sacrifice on her behalf. She came not to marvel at this cataclysmic overturn of human history. She came to Jesus not as a child of God but as a mother on a mission. Her concern was not the death of her Savior but the fame and well-being of her two sons. Blinded by ambition for her sons, she would do anything to secure their future.... In her mother's pride, she had elevated her desires for her children above the concerns of the Savior.

Jesus responded with grace..." (See Matthew 20:26-28)

This is an excellent read.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Riann I have to laugh since I JUST got this book last week and started reading it yesterday. I thought to myself...'now doesn't that title sound fitting???' Joel was really excited about it too and encouraged me to buy it. Thanks for the insight!
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book suggestion. I am putting it on my list. Thanks for sharing. Your blog is always thought provoking and touches my heart. You are a gifted writer.

April