Monday, September 28, 2009

One less

In Ethiopia, 13% of children have lost one or both parents, and there are now 4.6 million orphans. We have started the journey to make that number one...or two...less.

Alex asked me about two weeks ago, "Why aren't we adopting again?" and followed that within days with, "More than one?"

Lack of finances really wasn't a good answer. How do we explain that we "don't have the money" when the annual income in Ethiopia is $140, and I spend that in one grocery run? God will provide, as we miraculously watched when MyLinh entered our lives.

I questioned, too, my ability to mother and teach when I already so often feel stretched thin. But I have been reminded by those dear to me and close to the heart of God that I will learn not only about letting go of what is not important but also about the strength He promises and provides.

And so my fear of the unknowns in this are disappearing, and I know this for certain -- we have room in our home and in our hearts, and the fatherless will find a family here.


11 comments:

A. Zimmerman said...

WOW!!! God will make a way. I am so excited to see what God has in store for your family. It just gives me goosebumps!

Love and prayer for your growing family!
April

Anonymous said...

My little boys will be thrilled I am sure:)

Susan

MD said...

I am so excited for you and am praying for your child(ren) alongside my own! Love you.

Delena said...

We're right behind you. Hoping to begin our journey in about a year or so. I'm so happy for you. Way to go.

Abbie Laine said...

yay, yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!!! glad we all get to "get behind you" and support you as a community now. your family brings us such joy and we're beside ourselves with the anticipation of more of you. thanks for the chance to see God work in your life and your kids' lives.
Ab

4dogs said...

Such exciting news! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Very exciting, and inspirational news! I needed to read this today...thank you! :) Many prayers for your beautiful, growing family. That Alex is sure a keeper, too!
Dea

Kristen said...

Woohoo! :)
Can't wait for the next bundle(s) of joy.
Love you to you all!

Auntie K :)

mom and dad said...

We will change the y to "ies" in our prayers for our new grandbaby. :o) :o)

mom said...

...and the fun begins...again.
loving all of you...mom

J and J said...

We are excited to follow your journey! May God continue to pour out blessings on your family!