Sunday, June 14, 2009

Perspective


We were in Portland for a weekend. Two days of study for Alex and two days of play for me -- hours in Powell's with a dear friend, amazing Vietnamese food, quiet time with my journal and a crazy city roaring around me.


And then...


I found myself sipping Starbucks near a trio of homeless men. And while seeking out yet another shopping destination, I watched a child beg near the road and the line grow outside the rescue mission's shelter. I felt very, very small in that dark, broken city, and I thought, "I won't forget this. What can I do...?"


And then...


The June days grew cluttered and stretched with end-of-the-year school projects and swim camp, baseball games and sick babies. And it was somewhere between the midnight cooling of fevered baby and root-root-rooting for the home team that I remembered. That dark, bustling city was still there, and what was on my mind? The misplaced swim goggles and correct Tylenol dosage and plans for dinner. That's what filled my head. And my heart? I had left introspection on that Starbucks bistro table in Portland.


I am wrestling yet with my place in this grand scheme of life. How to remember His heart in this world I live in, my world of PBJ's and the half-finished solar system model and 4-H meetings? I am praying for perspective this week...and the next...and remembering the words in Colossians 3:17, "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father..." And so I thank God that I clearly know the calling He gave me is that of mama, and I dose Tylenol and cheer for Monte B. with the assurance that I am doing exactly what I need to be doing. But my perspective? I want it to be His perspective.


May you know His peace in your life of thanksgiving, and may you too know His perspective in this broken world.

Daddy's hands soothing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The #1 Christian pop music song was by Brandon Heath called "Give me Your Eyes". I'm not sure if you have heard it but it speaks to this issue of God's perspective.

Give me Your Eyes for just one minute
Give me Your Eyes so I can see
Everything that I've been missing
Give me Your Love for humanity
Give me Your Arms for the brokenhearted
the ones that are far beyond my reach

I think about this song when I feel my judgmental sin nature striking. Oh to have His perspective and not my narrowminded self righteousness. Thank you for the reminder.

Susan

irishhende said...

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. :] Glad to have found your blog-- I'll have to keep up on it now as well.

-"Lizzy"