Sunday, June 29, 2008

Love

We missed church today to work on our roofing project, but I watched a beautiful sermon unfold this weekend.

Love is patient…
Father, grandfather, husband and brother-in-law were on our roof, working careful carpentry in our first hot June sunshine. From morning until evening, throughout the weekend, cheerful voices rang with the hammers. Papa just chuckled while Malcolm mixed nails and screws and carted off levels and squares. (Dad, I just found your voltage tester attached to the Radio Flyer trike.) My mother changed diapers, served meals, and held little ones, tireless.

Love is kind…
There was a morning at the beach with Nana who braved the frigid Pacific to jump waves with her grandbabies. She was wrestling, reading, rocking in the days that followed, taking time to visit with me, perched on the edge of the tub for an impromptu self-serve spa, pumice stone in hand. Grandpa Jay shared sling-shot plans with Monte B. and animal cookies with one of his adoring fans (MyLinh has figured out his sweet tooth…)

I tucked little ones into bed tonight, tired from our full, sweet weekend, and I wondered at this beautiful love, so patient and kind, that I watch within my family. I re-read Corinthians 13 tonight, and I prayed that my children would see it, that even in their youth they would understand this love and, even more so, long for His love.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Thank you, Riann. Salve to my soul. Missing you and family. Much love!
Kristen

Diana said...

You are such a wonderful writer. This filled me with goosebumps and happiness. So peaceful!

It's Absolutely Us. said...

I agree, you are a beautiful writer. Your family sounds wonderful. It's a breath of fresh air to read your blog.