Monday, May 19, 2008

Seasons

Summer is coming. Baseball gear and bubble wands are beside the door, and the scent of sunscreen clings to clothes. Our sheets and towels are crisp and sun scented from their hours on the line, and the boys’ feet are grass stained, their cheeks pink.

While waiting for MyLinh, winter seemed to stretch interminably. It felt as if the seasons would never change again. My dad brought me pussywillows, one of the first harbingers of the new season, and my mom gave me a quote by E.B. White:

“Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, and the warm wind will blow again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy, Wilbur – this lovely world, these precious days.” Charlotte, in Charlotte’s Web

Propped on my windowsill, beside a photo of MyLinh, that quote was yet another reminder during the cold, wet days of winter that, indeed, the seasons would change, as God in His grace had promised. And slowly, the signs of spring did arrive. Daffodils brought sunshine to an otherwise dark and cold garden, and hummingbirds at the feeder delighted the boys. And then the call…and on the first day of spring, March 21, MyLinh was in our arms.

Our years of hoping, dreaming, praying and wondering about this little person collided with that difficult day. The tears of joy were painful tears, and the day was one of the most difficult of our lives. Days have passed, weeks, almost two months now, and what snapshots this past weekend, this new season has held. Brother running the bases in T-ball, while little sister, popsicle stained, is surrounded by 4 generations of family, cheering him home. Three bare children in the wading pool, splashing water and laughter across the grass. Hugs given without request and the elation of oldest brother (who kept count, calling out the tally, completely confident of her love for him). Oh, what a sparkler we have in our MyLinh, and what delight she has brought to each of us!

On this warm spring evening, with lilacs on my table and the promise of summer tangible, I am just stopping for a quiet moment of gratitude to our Creator, the Giver of good gifts. What a spring it has been. We have experienced new life in such an amazing way as we have walked this journey of adoption, and as spring blossoms into summer, we are thankful for “this lovely world, these precious days”…and the tiny pair of saltwater sandals next to our door.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is good... all the time!! Lovingly,ConnieLou

The Waters said...

You have painted a beautiful picture for us. I just wish we could experience it!

One day, one day.............

mom said...

you warmed my heart on this cold and dreary day.mom

Diana said...

What a beautiful blog! Gave me good "chills"! Love, Diana

Anonymous said...

My mind loves the thought of MyLinh hugging without prompting to do so. That little sparkler does light up a room wherever she goes. It does my heart good to see a Mommy with 2 tow heads on foot and a black haired beauty in the back pack shopping at Freddy's.

Jordan and Amber said...

Sis, you are gifted with words. You paint such a vivid and accurate picture. I just hope you never write about me!
Give those kids a squeeze- and Annie too:) Jordan

mom said...

oooooooooh, i wish she would..now wouldn't THAT be fun!

Anonymous said...

Riann,
Re-reading your commentary in light of what you shared at Bible study today. I appreciate so much the stories that you share with all of us. When I look at your family I clearly see the hand of God at work. It is good to take time and let the awesomeness of that sink into my little pea brain. Thank you for causing me to pause and examine His hand in my life as well.
big squeezes to all,
S

DEBBIE KINCAID said...

DEAR ALEX,
I AM SO VERY THANKFUL FOR GOD'S WONDERFUL BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. I HAVE STARTED TO READ YOUR BLOG WHICH IS PUT TOGETHER WITH SUCH LOVE AND PERFECTION.
I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT YOUR FAMILY HAS NEVER LEFT MY HEART AND I PRAY FOR YOU ALL OFTEN.
WHEN I USE TO TELL YOU AT WORK THAT YOU WERE AN AWSOME PERSON, IT CAME FROM THE HEART.
I'M HOPEING TO MOVE BACK TO SEASIDE SO MAYBE I WILL BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO MEET YOUR NEW DAUGHTER.
IN GOD'S LOVE,
DEBBIE KINCAID